Independent Study Model
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) work to identify emergency management education and training needs. FEMA's Emergency Management Institute (EMI) delivers free online Independent Study (IS) courses to meet these needs.
The MACEM at Frederick Community College (FCC) recognizes successful completion of Independent Study courses and awards academic credit for coursework that meets FCC academic standards. Students may apply course credits toward academic credentials, and many courses satisfy employer professional development credit requirements.
FEMA Independent Study courses empower emergency management professionals to:
- Acquire critical, relevant information.
- Complete work online.
- Earn academic credits or a degree.
- Fulfill job credentials.
- Advance professional qualifications.
Converting FEMA Independent Study Courses to Academic Credit
- Complete FEMA Independent Study program course(s) at training.fema.gov/is
- Order academic credit(s) and request official transcript(s) at em-study.com
- Receive an FCC transcript reflecting academic credit.
Important Student Notes
- Confirm selected courses are eligible for academic credit and/or meet desired student outcomes.
- Verify semester dates at frederick.edu/FEMA
- Credit conversion cost is $88 per credit.
- Academic credit is assigned a 'P' for passing. ('P' is equivalent to a grade of 'C' or better and does not factor into calculating a student's GPA.)
- Allow four weeks for processing—expedited service is not available.
View our video tutorial at www.frederick.edu/FEMA